Personal videos offer a great way to display your personality and allow potential employers to see the person behind the application. Although videos are not likely to take the place of applications and resumes, they could be the cherry-on-top to a good application. ZippyApp’s unique video tool allows you to upload and post your personal video with your work application, offering an even richer applicant profile. Stand out from the crowd with these video-building tips!
- Tell your story: Your video should tell your story — employers want to get to know you. Your story is your brand, and getting others to understand your brand helps them identify with your story.
- Relate your previous experience: The information in your video should be relevant to the type of jobs you are applying to, but there is no need to do a separate video for each job. Discuss your previous positions and the skills you took away from each. You can say things like “I greeted and seated 75 customers in one hour in my previous Host position. It was a fast-paced and challenging experience.”
- Sell yourself: Video is a great way to display your personality. Try not to repeat what is written on your application – instead showcase your talent and skills in ways you can’t on paper. Can you juggle? Sing? Adding these in to your video are great ways to set yourself apart from other applicants.
- Keep it short and sweet: You don’t want the viewer, your potential employer, to get bored and switch it off. A good time frame is between 1-2 minutes. Before beginning, write down what you want to discuss in bullet point format, which can help you communicate efficiently and to the point.
- Delivery: Your personal video is not that much different than an in-person interview, so be sure to talk clearly and address the camera (the interviewer) directly. Make sure to record your video in an area where there isn’t any background noise or distracting sounds.
- Dress to impress: Present yourself in a way prospective employers might envision you in their workplace. Be sure to wear appropriate clothing and style.
- Tools: Nowadays you don’t have to have a camera, microphone, and expensive video equipment to create your video – you can simply use your smartphone. Some video apps we like are Mobli and video editor Magisto.
Have any personal video tips to share? We would love to hear from you!